Thursday, December 4, 2014

How to Start in the Beauty Industry as an Esthetician-Making School Choices.




In 2000 I decide to become an esthetician,I had already took some massage classes and decided that I wanted to work in a Spa. I did my research to find out which was the best schools and what kind of training did most Spa require to hire their employees. I found  two choices The Cideso Program and Basic Esthetician course  which is offered in Beauty School.


I  always been a planner so I sat down and wrote down my short and long term goals. I knew I just didn't want to do massage but I wanted to work as a beauty therapist therefore I would need to cross train in Skin Care,Makeup, Waxing and  Body Treatments, Therefore I decided to compare the two programs being offered.


I went online and found information about The Cideso Program which offered a holistic Beauty Therapy Course and is known to be the best program if you plan to work overseas in the Spa Industry. Cidesco Program ranging from 1200 to 2000 hours at qualified schools and the cost could range from  15,000, to 20,000 dollars. My other choice was a esthetician course being offered at a beauty school in San Francisco which only cost 6000.00 and the Training consist of 600 hours which is the required hours need to take a California State Esthetician Board to get your esthetician license.


After comparing I felt a regular program at a beauty school would be a more affordable choice and being that my  goal was to work in a Salon I knew that each salon carries their own product and I could receive additional training through the product representative. In addition while I was in beauty school I also learned about a several product line that was offering Post Graduate Classes after you graduated that covered Skin analyse/Product Sales and Speed Waxing courses with certificates which were helpful if you were trying to get hired with no experience.


So it was settled, I chose my school and completed 600 hours passed my state boards took additional course at The International Dermal Institute and Aveda then went out in the job market as a fresh esthetician graduate.


As I was Job hunting I found there was many different branches to choose from in the job market these jobs ranged from Salons to Spa to Department Stores Cosmetic Counters to Medical Spa’s.


Being that I wanted to work in a Spa  I found a small salon that was willing to interview me because  I had the additional post graduate training in Dermalogica products and this is the product line they carried in their Salon.
So the extra 100.00 I spent on Dermalogica training was well worth it plus it boosted my confidence in product knowledge and I was able to convey that  in my interview with my potential employer and I was Hired.
During my employment with this Salon I learned all I could about product/ services/self management and I got the beginning experience I needed to grow into a experienced esthetician.


Referring
Cosmetology License Requirement by State- http://www.beautyschoolsdirectory.com/faq/state_req.php


Cideso Program - http://cidesco.com/
California State Boards-http://www.barbercosmo.ca.gov/

Steiner Education- http://education-portal.com/directory/school/Steiner_Education_Group.html#tab0-page1

The International Dermal Institute -http://www.dermalinstitute.com/us/ei

No comments:

Post a Comment